Makeup-free models at Marc Jacobs NYFW: a Makeup Artist's opinion

Legion  of bare faced models at the Marc Jacobs show. Joan Smalls looks fab. (c)Zuma/Rex
Marc Jacobs has quite the track record of runway show surprises and his recent show at NYFW brings us yet another one--makeup free models. Francois Nars--one of my most admired makeup artists--suggested that the models wear no makeup at all. While any flaws were touched up in a "very minimal way", the models walked the catwalk virtually makeup free.

In a word, this trend is refreshing.

Minimalist makeup. Photo: Kyrsten Galang | Model: Spot6 | Makeup: Geneva Fong

To use my own portfolio as an example, my most well-received looks are clean, minimalist looks. When I was just starting out as a makeup artist, I wanted to be the next Pat McGrath or Alex Box (don't we all?). However, photographers and modeling agencies were instead requesting clean makeup and I could only show my avant garde talents through Halloween makeup tutorials on YouTube. It wasn't about me; the client gets what the client wants.

While the minimalist face may not be the best display of my talent as a makeup artist, it is a refreshing trend that ushers in the new normal in beauty.

Labels: , , ,